Famous in a small town...Yep, thats me!

Finding myself in a super duper small town in the middle of nowhere!

Monday, February 8, 2010

My Name is Carol and I am a.....







Quilt-A-Holic...I admit this with pure joy! I relapsed today! I put all my sewing stuff, quilting stuff, away for when my dear husband arrived home. However he got a late start and will not be home until 5:00 p.m. I searched the house high and low for something to occupy my time and found nothing, as I had spent all day yesterday cleaning and organizing. Not even one load of laundry needs to be done. So I caved! I remembered some fabric that I had bought and got the idea to make it into strips for a jelly roll quilt for my three year old daughter! I had ordered this book "Jelly Roll Quilts" and I have been looking for jelly rolls. However a jelly roll is around $40.00 with shipping. The tight ass inside me says "$40.00 for a roll of 2 1/2" fabric strips, good grief, I have that in my stash, make my own and save money"....So under the temptation of the book and the fabric in my stash....I had to cut the strips! I got out just the cutter, mat, fabric, iron, and ruler. Well cutting the strips killed about 15 minutes...So I thought, "I wonder how they roll the strips into such cute little rolls...???". I googled it and made two jelly rolls out of that fabric. I had five different fabrics and even though its not 40 different fabrics I don't care! I am going to make this quilt anyway. Its a scrappy quilt...It might matter, but I guess I will find out later when its done...mark another one for my trial and error process....Just a few more days and I will be off to the fabric shops molesting fabric! I have been thinking a lot lately of what exactly I love about quilting. There are so many different aspects to quilting. I love fabric, the color, the design, the textures. I love looking at quilts on the internet, in books, in person. I love reading quilting books, looking at the patterns, trying to pick one, then finding the fabric! I like the sound of my cutter cutting the pieces! The hum of the machine... The smell of the iron pressing out the creases. The only two things that I hate about quilting are (1) The math! The math, oh crap the math! I am not good at math, and I get so frustrated! (2) Walking into a store, school, or gas station, with thread hanging all over me. My kids go to school with pieces of thread and snippets on them...My dogs even have thread on them! But ya know the thread things is kinda cool in a really weird way...


No comments:

Post a Comment